Free and Open-Source Tool for
Social Network Analysis
Social Network Visualizer (SocNetV) is a cross-platform, user-friendly free software application for social network analysis and visualization. With SocNetV you can:
- Draw social networks with a few clicks on a virtual canvas, load field data from a file in a supported format (GraphML . GraphViz . Adjacency. EdgeList, GML, Pajek. UCINET. etc) or crawl the internet to create a social network of connected webpages.
- Edit actors and ties through point-and-click, analyse graph and social network properties, produce beautiful HTML reports and embed visualization layouts to the network.
- Standard graph and network cohesion metrics, such as density . diameter . geodesics and distances . connectedness . eccentricity . clustering coefficient . reciprocity, etc.
- Matrix routines: Adjacency plot, Laplacian matrix, Degree matrix, Cocitation, etc
- Advanced measures for social network analysis such as centrality and prestige indices (i.e. eigenvector and closeness centrality. betweenness centrality. information centrality. power centrality. proximity and pagerank prestige).
- Fast algorithms for community detection. such as triad census . clique census ,etc.
- Structural equivalence analysis, using hierarchical clustering. actor similarities and tie profile dissimilarities, Pearson coefficients.
- Layout models based either on prominence indices (i.e. circular, level and nodal sizes by centrality score) or on force-directed placement (i.e. Eades Spring Embedder. Fruchterman-Reingold. etc) for meaningful visualizations of the social networks.
- Multirelational network loading and editing. Load a social network consisting of multiple relations or create a social network on your own and add multiple relations to it.
- Random network creation using various random network generation models (Barabási–Albert Scale-Free. Erdős–Rényi. Watts-Strogatz Small-World. d-regular, ring lattice, etc)
- Famous social network analysis datasets. i.e. Padgett’s Florentine families.
- Built-in web crawler to automatically create “social networks” from links found in a given initial URL.
- Comprehensive documentation. both online and inside the application, which explains each feature and algorithm of SocNetV in detail.
Source code, packages and executables for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X are available in the “Downloads ” page.
The program is Free Software, licensed under the GNU General Public License 3 (GPL3) .
You can copy it as many times as you wish, or modify it, provided you keep the same license. The documentation is also Free, licensed under the Free Documentation License (FDL).
Do you want to contribute?
- If you are a C++/Qt developer, you can help our project by commiting your patches (new features and bugfixes) to our source code development tree.
- If you are a proud SocNetV user (person or institution), you can help us by reporting bugs. proposing new features in our Launchpad ‘blueprints’ page or even donating whatever amount of money you like to the project. If you want to donate some money, click on the “Donate” button (in the page footer). You will be redirected to our Paypal donation account.
In any case, thank you for using and contributing to SocNetV! Have fun with social network analysis.
The Social Network Visualizer project is happy to announce that a brand new version of our favorite social network analysis and visualization software application has been released. SocNetV version 2.3, released on Jul 5, has the eloquent codename “fixer” and it is now available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux from the Downloads page. What the new
We are pleased to announce that a new version of your favorite social network analysis and visualization software application has been released. SocNetV version 2.2, codenamed “beyond”, brings many new features and it is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Visit the Downloads page to get it! Here is a brief list of all new features and
Today is a wonderful day, because we are happy to announce that a brand new version of our favorite social network analysis and visualization software application has been released. SocNetV version 2.1, released on Sep 28, has the quite eloquent codename “fixer” and it is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux from the Downloads page. What the
The Social Network Visualizer project has released a brand new version of the Social Network Analysis application which brings major code overhaul, new GUI layout, significant improvements and lots of bugfixes. SocNetV v2.0 brings stability, great performance boost and nice new features for easier social network analysis such as separate modes for
This video, uploaded to YouTube by Micheal Axelsen, takes on the dreaded social network analysis by using SocNetV.
Explore the nice features of SocNetV to make
your social network research real fun!
Easy User Interface
Navigate yourself and use the application either with the mouse or the keyboard.
Load and save to GraphML, but you can also import most network file formats (GML, Pajek, UCINET, GraphViz, Adjacency, EdgeList etc).
Compute distances, eccentricity, connectedness, clique census, triad census, and Prominence indices (i.e. eigenvector, betweenness and information centrality, promixity prestige, pagerank and more)
Apply intuitive visualization layouts on undirected/directed graphs, based on prominence scores or force-directed models.
Automatically recreate known social network datasets such as Padgett’s Families
Create random networks using one of the supported models (scale-free, Erdős–Rényi, lattice, small worlds)
Easily visualize and analyze networks of linked web pages and sites through the built-in web crawler.
Work with multiple relations concurrently. SocNetV supports loading, editing and saving multirelational social networks.
Learn to work with SocNetV and make use of Social Network Analysis methods by reading our Manual
SocNetV is Free and Open-Source Software, use it everywhere. Have a feature request? Ask us!
Have fun with Social Network Analysis
Use the buttons to download Social Network Visualizer for your OS or to learn more about Social Network Analysis and Visualization reading the Manual .