State of Rhode Island: Department of Business Regulation
Division of Insurance Regulation: Consumers
- Consumer Alerts
- InsureU – a Public Education Program to Assist Consumers with Information about Insurance Issues
- The VA’s Insurance Team – Insurance information specifically for active Servicemembers, Veterans, and their families
- Consumer Information Source (CIS) – Information about insurance companies consumers can use BEFORE purchasing insurance
- Access to Public Records Form
- Office of Health Insurance Commissioner
- Licensed and Approved Insurance Companies
- Financial Information – Rhode Island Domestic Insurance Companies
- For Information on Service of Process
- Domestic Companies
- Insurance Regulation 114 – Service of Process Upon Insurance Companies
- Consumers Guide to Auto Insurance
- Uninsured Motorists:
If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, please contact the Financial Responsibility Unit at the Division of Motor Vehicles at 401-462-5709.
- Market of Last Resort – If you are unable to secure automobile insurance coverage through the voluntary market, please contact the RI Automobile Insurance Plan at 401-946-2600 for assistance.
- Fraud Reporting: To report suspected automobile insurance fraud, please contact the RI Auto Theft and Fraud Unit at 401-444-1155.
- Consumers Guide to Homeowners Insurance
- Disaster Preparedness Tips and Consumer Alerts for Homeowners and Renters
- Home Inventory Checklist
- State of RI Emergency Management Agency (Disaster Assistance, Flood Insurance and Prepare Now!)
- For questions on applying for federal assistance and aide contact: Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
at 800-621-3362 or to apply for disaster assistance online at www.fema.gov
- For questions on obtaining flood insurance, what to do before, during and/or after flooding, or to report flood claims (for property owners who purchased a flood policy) contact: National Flood Insurance Program
(NFIP) at 800-638-6620; www.floodsmart.gov
- United Way: 2-1-1: For Disaster or Emergency Service Information
- Market of Last Resort – If you are unable to secure property insurance coverage through the voluntary market, please contact the RI Joint Reinsurance Association at 800-851-8978 for assistance.
- Lead Liability – For questions on mitigation of properties in accordance with the Lead Hazard Mitigation Act, please contact the RI Housing Resource Commission at 800-570-0768 or http://www.hrc.ri.gov/index.php
- Fraud Reporting: To report suspected arson, please contact the RI State Fire Marshall at 401-462-4200.
Long Term Care Insurance
Life Insurance and Annuities
- Deferred Annuities Buyers Guide
- Life Insurance Consumers Guide
- NAIC Life Insurance Policy Locator Service – Helping connect consumers to life insurance policies they didn’t know their deceased family members had.
- Market of Last Resort – If you are unable to secure medical malpractice insurance coverage through the voluntary market, please contact the Medical Malpractice Joint Underwriting Association of RI at 401-369-8245 for assistance.
Workers Compensation Insurance
Please also see the website of the Office of the Health Insurance Commissioner (OHIC) at