J Sainsbury Plc is one of the UK s leading Grocery and Non Food retailers. Sainsbury s was founded in 1869 and our heritage defines the way we operate. Our vision is to be the most trusted retailer where customers and colleagues love to work and shop, and our 160,000 colleagues put this into practice every day across our 1,200 multi format stores in the UK. We put our customers and their values at the heart of everything do, and apply industry leading ethical trading practices underpinned by a firm commitment to sustainable sourcing.
Sainsbury s Asia is the direct sourcing function for Sainsbury s. We source great products from suppliers at the best quality and the right cost in order to provide our customers with the products they love. To support the ongoing growth of our strategic sourcing from the region we are now looking for confident and passionate candidates to join our team in challenging and enjoyable roles.
Senior Compliance Officer
Summary of the Role s Main Purpose
- To manage the SAL compliance audit program for suppliers in Home Lifestyle and Clothing business functions in Asia.
- To manage a team of auditors in Asia to provide effective technical support for the selection of new suppliers and in the ongoing development of existing supplier capability for H L and Clothing functioning groups.
- To ensure our suppliers are both technically socially capable in meeting Sainsbury s requirements and also our core value in Sourcing with Integrity .
- To implement the agreed processes and procedures to all Home Lifestyle functions in Asia in accordance with corporate strategy priorities to ensure a consistency approach both in Asia UK.
- Maintain effective working relationship with 3rd party audit company to ensure they adhere to Sainsbury s agreement.
- Maintain effective working relationship with related internal H L functioning groups in Asia and UK
- Maintain the integrity and accuracy of the supplier database by managing for initial follow up audits. Where CAP required, liaise with the QA Technologist suppliers to complete improvements that ensure all contracted sources meet the established Sainsbury s standards.
- Monitor ensure all active sites undergo the technical ethical audit by 3rd party per our grading matrix
- Facilitate improvements in areas of non-compliance and provide appropriate guidance, support, etc for timely delivery of agreed objectives and targets to suppliers, QA Technologists and Merchandising teams in Asia and UK.
- Monitor maintain an awareness of all significant supplier performance issues or concerns both technically or socially via SAL supplier database and escalate to senior management in SAL and UK team.
- Ensure working practices are fully aligned with UK team, understood and implemented by local and external stakeholder such a suppliers and 3rd party audit company.
- Develop and maintain relationship with external stakeholders including customers and suppliers and 3rd party audit company to ensure they follow Sainsbury s expectations and requirements.
- Deliver effective support to internal stakeholders in Asia and suppliers on new agreed workflow and procedures in accordance with corporate strategy and goals to ensure consistency alignment with UK team on Sainsbury s compliance program.
- Collaborate with 3rd party audit company on annual training of SAL compliance program to suppliers and internally as appropriate.
- Liaise with business colleagues, service providers, NGO, socially responsible organizations such ETI, ICTI, etc to keep abreast of changes in Regulations Standards, competitor activity and similar business developments.
Measures of Success
- Factory audits timely completed by 3rd party company
- Timely issue of audit report by 3rd party
- Timely FA monthly status report to management
- Timely implementation completion of factory re-audit program ( follow up audit 2 years up)
Staff supplier training and development on update work processes and procedures on the compliance audit program or criteria.
Core Areas of Knowledge, Skills Experience
- At least 5 years relevant experience gained from sourcing, retail or manufacturing background preferably with UK retail operations
- Ability to collaborate influence at all levels with internal eternal stakeholders such as suppliers and service providers
- Ability to manage the mandatory and internal programs, procedures for Quality Management Systems, Social Accountability, etc. within a commercial environment.
- Competence in analysing / interpreting data and resolving issues through the implementation of appropriate improvement plans and schedules.
- Familiar with local labour laws, international directives, standards, codes of conduct, etc. as applicable to manufacturing in Asia.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels
- Proven technical skills within the product area
- Fluently written and spoken English and Cantonese and Mandarin
- Good Microsoft /PC capability
- Some travel is required.